Monday 23 February 2015

The Great Gift

How many dishes can you do before writing a single word?



One of the best episodes of The Simpsons is 'Snow Day' in which Bart prays for an extra day to do his book report... overnight it snows and a snow day is called- every one is off school and out playing, and as Bart is rushing out to join, Lisa solemnly reminds him that this day is here for him to use, to do his book report. Bart turns around, and accomplishes the report. Mrs. Krabappel still fails him- and Bart cries, understanding the feelings of the characters in the book. In his genuine feelings, his teacher realizes Bart had done the work and she changes his grade and he passes. 

The given time we have to do anything is a precious gift. The time in education and training, with friends and family, with lovers, with those that antagonize us, and with ourselves.

We need time alone, for rest and rejuvenation. We need to exercise and to pray. We need eat and sleep. We need hugs and kisses. We need to make our art.

Time expands and shrinks and plays jokes. Time helps and pushes us allows to do what we must do. Time always shows its own precious nature.

Time throws me in obsessive tornadoes- as much as I can multitask, I am a very focused person. I can get easily distracted, but I can return to my focus. There is a danger though when the distractions become my focus- and then the space of time between connecting with the focus and the distraction grows, inflates. My art then gets trapped inside a bubble that I can't get into, or don't allow myself to get into. I just keep the bubble shiny and expanding while I do the dishes.

Bubbles collide and the gentlest touch can burst them. In any moment.

I found out on February 10 that my friend and teacher, the artist Michelle Sereda, was killed in a car accident outside of Regina. I remove myself from the world when these tragedies come. This woman, as has been described by many that knew her, better than I, was so completely and genuinely herself, in her body, in her artist. She was beautiful and devoted to creating, to teaching movement and creation, and in Canada. Her light was so bright, you treasured the moments you got to see her and became intoxicated by this magic. 

Michelle taught me a drama course when I was a kid. It was the first course that I really found my breath, where the movement exercises actually connected me to my body. Mind, Body, Spirit alignment. It was also the first time I got to be a merman as a character. How did she know she was awakening and liberating a whole other universe in me?

These lessons, these treasures, my teachers, they are me. Losing a teacher, feels like a part of my home has been ripped. And while I know her light is not gone, but transcended, it is a loss I mourn, but will honor. 

I have had great teachers and I am filled with their love and wisdom and the gift of being taught by them. 

I am blessed, so grateful to have what I have, and the way I pay these gifts forward is my work, my art, these words. I hope they inspire you.


Art begat Art. Feed the right wolf. 

And please, if you are in New York... please! See these shows if you can:

One Day- The Musical
https://www.facebook.com/OneDayTheMusical

The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey

Check them out and support them, they are by very dear friends who are incredibly talented. They are both different and very important to our time.

Love.
M


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers