Tuesday 21 April 2015

The Power of Every Day And The Power of Pink

Pink has always been my favorite color. 
Since I was about eight years old it had to be. I had arrived late for school (even then), but happened to walk into our teacher telling us about the meanings of colors. 

'Red signifies love and passion. White represents honor, honesty, purity, truth. PINK is the combination of these colors so it means love and truth.'

That's the abbreviation of how I remember it, but I was sold. I love so many things and constantly struggle making a fucking decision so this color enabled to me to have more things as my favorite color (2-for-1!) I have since learned that red can also mean fortune, anger, aggression, depending on where you are. White also means innocence, surrender, virginity(?)... again depending on who you are, where you are and what you're doing. 

Pink also represents femininity (Mary is often represented wearing blue, so I can assume pink is for us more experienced). In branding we have pink on bras, barbies, breasts, babies. I use pink because I find it playful, and I do believe it encompasses all of these qualities as I believe we as people are capable, and whether we like it or not experience the gamut. I also quite loved the Pink Power Ranger (played by Amy Jo Johnson in the 90's). As a child, I understood beauty through Disney Princesses (Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty... ps see the live action Cinderella and look at THAT color symbolism), and through music (Sue Medley, Shawn Colvin, Emm Gryner, Annie Lennox, Tori Amos), and then through the Pink Ranger, that girl power fire... later exemplified in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Now these artists and figures, some I know or have had the privilege of meeting, but they are not in my life (well Cinderella is in us all), but I am fortunate to have this strong woman archetype in many women in my life... first is my Mom. She is an artist manager, a teacher, a guide, a gatherer. She is smart and intuitive and brilliant. I could go on, and the list of these women is rather endless. Either I need them or they need me or both but I am blessed with really wonderful ladies that I absolutely love and adore and I keep meeting them and they sparkle my life with magic.

Last week was The Power of Pink, the bi-annual fundraiser for Breast Health. It is a group show, in which each designer presents 6 looks and a finale piece (7 total) worn by a breast cancer survivor, a Champion. 

It was my honor that my Champion was my friend Leah. She has been close friends with my aunt for a long time. I first met them when her husband and my uncle were making beer together. I babysat their kids. Leah has always been warm and kind and grateful with me. Our whole family prayed when she was diagnosed and all through her treatment plans. I am so proud of her. There's a quality that survivors possess: a kind of ego-less determination and devotion to gratitude and a pure enjoyment of every moment and relationship. 

#easiersaidthandone

Now it's been a couple days since the show. I've slept and come back with a kind of readiness and gratitude I have not felt before. Sometimes after doing a big show, a wave of dark blue comes over me. It's called post-show-depression. Kind of like postpartum but different. I think it comes if you're not paid enough, or somewhere something was spent or given that was not appreciated properly. I did not experience this. I am so glad that everything happened the way it did. A friend once said, 'have a plan for the day after' and that has been really helpful. I also feel like the work is not done, I'm pricing and planning the next phase for these pieces, and unlike my past shows they all have really good patterns. I am really proud of the collection which you can see at bymatthewdonnelly.com

I was glad to have my family there, and my art teacher. So let's keep it going and herein lies the power of every day: the mystery secret: do it. Do it every day. I have been making a little reading, a little writing and a little drawing a part of my every day. It's not all publishable, rather it's quite private, but it's my meditation and it is as important as it is difficult. So whatever you gotta do- do you and it.

That said- I need to take this moment to thank all the people that helped make this show happen for me:

My Mom- Marian- worked on shoes that didn't get used, paid for some materials, fed me, drove me places, and was there, despite my agitations and ridiculous ideas.
Michelle- Happy Birthday and you're awesome. Thank you for shoes and pictures and labels
Laura- Your friendship, fusing, and dressing is the greatest gift.
Kelly- Every button counts! And thank you for your sewing machine
Tom- Thank you for the garage, the saw, and being on the team
My Grandparents- I'm on my way to clean up your basement
Dean Renwick- this man is a rock for me and he's brilliant
Mrs. Hartnell- Thank you for the serger
And
This collection would not have happened without the magic, beauty and kindness that is:
Alla- what a dream you were to work with. Thank you endlessly ;)

Also big thanks to Saundra Jones of Tangled Pixel for rebranding me. And Lisa Marie Schwartz of Edge Agency for forever having your shit together amongst all the designers that are on gay time and designer time (which is double). The models. And of course Pam Klein, the founder of the night that helps bring a lot of great people together. Check it out: Power of Pink.


Me and my Champion
Both photos by Michelle Brownride xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers